CITY OF BLAINE
City Council Chambers
Zoom will not be available at this meeting.
CITY COUNCIL AGENDA
Monday, November 27, 2023
Mary Lou Steward – Mayor
Richard May – Mayor Pro Tem
A. STUDY SESSION: 5:30 PM – 2024 Legislative Agenda and Legislative Update
B. CALL TO ORDER
Moment of Silence and Pledge of Allegiance – Led by Mayor Steward
COUNCILMEMBERS: Garth Baldwin, Eric Davidson, Kerena Higgins, Mike Hill, Rhyan Lopez, Richard May, and Mary Lou Steward.
C. AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION - Sign-up/Comment Sheet is located in the Council Chambers before the meeting. Members of the audience will have three minutes to speak.
D. WRITTEN COMMUNICATIONS
1. Email dated November 16, 2023, from Jay Taber, regarding a delinquent list.
2. Email dated November 22, 2023, from Samuel Crawford, regarding a recent article regarding AI bots at Council meetings.
E. CONSENT AGENDA
Items listed below will be enacted by one motion. If separate discussion is desired on an item, that item may be removed from the Consent Agenda and placed on the Regular Agenda at the request of a Councilmember.
1. Approval of Bills: $1,126,544.93
2. Approval of November 13, 2023, City Council Minutes.
3. Interlocal Jail Facility Use Agreement for Correctional Services Between Whatcom County and the City of Blaine – Amendment #4. (Harmon)
4. Interlocal agreement with the Port of Bellingham. (Gandhi)
5. Contract with and Gordon Thomas Honeywell Government Relations for 2024. (Harmon)
6. Waiving the second reading and approving Ordinance 23-3009, An Ordinance Amending Chapter 2.86 of the Blaine Municipal Code to Update Provisions Related to the Municipal Court Judge in Response to Changes in State Law. (Harmon)
F. COUNCIL ACTION ITEMS
1. Resolution 1938-23, Adopting the 2024 City of Blaine Legislative Agenda. (Harmon)
2. Appointment of Hearing Examiner Pro Tem and Approval of Contract with Olbrechts and Associates, PLLC. (Phil Olbrechts). (Wenger)
3. Restoration of the Plover. (Gandhi)
4. Ordinance 23-3010, An Ordinance Confirming Appointment of Municipal Judge Thomas Lyden for the Unexpired Term Ending December 31, 2023, and for a Four-Year Term and Setting Compensation. (Harmon)
G. COMMISSION, COMMITTEE AND BOARD REPORTS
H. DEPARTMENT REPORTS
5:30pm – Study Session: 2024 Legislative Agenda and Legislative Update
6:00pm – City Council Meeting
3:30pm – Civil Service Commission Meeting
6:00pm – City Council Meeting
9:00am – Park and Cemetery Board Meeting
6:00pm – Planning Commission Meeting
City Offices Closed
3:30 – Civil Service Commission Meeting
TBD (morning) – City Council Meeting
Contact information for staff and Councilmembers can be found on the City’s website.
J. COUNCIL UNFINISHED BUSINESS
K. COUNCIL NEW BUSINESS
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Requirement: The meeting location is accessible. If you require a special accommodation during your attendance at any public meeting, please contact the City Clerk’s Office (360) 332-8311 at least 72 hours prior to the meeting date you will be attending. Thank you.